Saturday 13 August 2011

Lost in the Moment

Every now and then a horse comes along that you cannot help but follow with special interest. It may start with just picking something out as having been unlucky in a race, so you back it next time and it's unlucky again. Now you are in trouble because you just know that if you don't back it next time it will definitely win. So, you tell yourself to keep faith and in you go again.

I am in just such a position with the Godolphin horse, Lost in the Moment. I first noticed this horse running a blinder at Royal Ascot when just run down by the quirky Beachfire. Much of the attention was on the hot favourite Green Destiny who finished down the field but to my eyes Lost in the Moment did nothing wrong and was just outpaced in the closing stages.

So, on to York and a highly competitive Ebor trial. The bookies quoting Lost in the Moment at 14-1 had me tempted. Yes, he had a rotten draw which I should know from painful experience that Pegasus would struggle to overcome, but each-way surely. Sure enough, stuck at the back after the wide draw, no chance from a mile out. But, wait a minute, bit by bit he starts picking off the stragglers until he gets trapped behind a wall of runners coming up the stands rail and in the end finishes without having had a race just nabbing a place.

I make a mental note for the Ebor and sit back waiting for the weights to be announced and the ante-post lists to appear. He gets a fair weight but could end up at the top if a few drop out, no odds given yet and I'm cautious because Godolphin are notoriously difficult to second-guess with their running plans.

Then I check the card for the Goodwood Cup and there he is....going up the best part of a mile in distance! Hmm...a dilemma. The experts said he was doubtful for the Ebor trip, now he's running over further? Do I start studying his pedigree, the dosage index and heaven knows what else? He's down as the second string for Godolphin with William Buick riding but odds as big as 22-1! Yes, I have to have another punt don't I. His odds are cut in half before the start of the race so I'm not the only one following him and off they go. Held up. One of the worst phrases to hear when you have backed a horse is "held up to get the trip". I'm no jockey but holding up a horse does not make it stay the trip. Yes, you can preserve it's finishing kick (if it has one) but you cannot make a non-stayer stay by asking it to make up 20 lengths in the straight.

Anyway, turning for home and he's still going easily and starting to pick his way through. Dettori goes wider on the Godolphin favourite Opinion Poll at the same time and, you guessed it, Lost in the Moment gets stuck in traffic, not once but twice! Meanwhile Dettori's run takes him through to the front and the gallant late run of Lost in the Moment is never going to be closer than an "unlucky" second. He's going two strides to the winners one after the line and looks like he would stay another 6 furlongs if needed but of course it's too late. I cringe whilst Dettori does his "number 1" salute and think to myself, what odds now for the Ebor? Well, the answer is now 7-1 favourite. Am I going to follow him again? You bet I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment